Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Red vs Blue



Will American Idol be a Red State vs. Blue State Battle?

Interesting post today on Reality TV Magazine, about how fans are likely split up geographically between Taylor Hicks and Katharine McPhee along the same lines as the 2004 presidential election. I'll leave you to read the post, but basically it boils down to Taylor will get the red states (Southern/Central, conservative, Taylor's home and home to many similar-styled artists) and Katharine will get the blue states (Northeastern/Western, home to the Broadway/Las Vegas-style performers that Katharine resembles). In addition, it points out that their different demeanors are likely to ingratiate them with the same states as their singing styles...Taylor comes across as humble, gentlemanly, polite, and doesn't talk back to the judges when they criticize him (not that they've been doing that a lot lately, even Simon). Katharine, on the other hand, has been attacked by a lot of Elliott, Chris, and Taylor fans for being pushy, over-confident and happy when she gets into the next round (God forbid people be happy for doing well), as well as talking back to the judges, which tends to put off some people, but may in fact help her with the more aggressive Northeastern and Western demographic.

Personally, I'm a red-stater politically, but a blue-stater in this case (dare I say, a blue-stater culturally? In some senses, not all), based on the article's division of red and blue...one of the commenters made a case for Katharine as California Republican and Taylor as working-class Democrat which makes some sense, at least based on a more historical view of the two parties rather than a contemporary one. I love Katharine's bluesy Broadway voice, and while I think Taylor is good, I would never listen to him just for the sake of listening to him. I love the fact that Katharine called the judges on their comments about song choice when she didn't even pick the damn song. I love the fact that she interacts with the judges and with Ryan instead of just standing there and taking whatever they dish out. I love the fact that Simon was forced to apologize to her for his undeserved harshness on her rendition of "I Have Nothing." I love the fact that she can forget lyrics and recover so well. I love the fact that she's bubbly and effervescent and enthusiastic and that her emotions play upon her face constantly.

What do I love about Taylor? Well, I love that he's not afraid of looking like an idiot. I love when he hits his high registers. I love when he does quiet songs like "In the Ghetto". I love when he sneaks a thirty-year-old song into the Billboard Top Ten week. That's about it.

I know there are a bunch of Taylor fans here. Interestingly, I think most of them are from the South. Could be Reality TV Magazine is on to something. Or else they're really bored over there are making up stuff to write. Honestly, I would probably be okay with either of them winning at this point. They're both very talented. But Kat's album is the one I will buy (especially if she does an American Songbook-themed one, or ends up on Broadway and there's an Original Cast Recording--that's where I think she would really shine). So I'll be over here texting my little fingers off for her.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobber said...

I have always thought Taylor had the least ability singing wise of say the top 6 finalists. But his attitude seems to have carried him. Kate has one of the best voices but she seldom nails a performance. But I think she might have taken more criticism than anyone else. I don't see her talking back that much, I guess I didn't notice it that much. I thought she did pretty good with taking a lot of criticism. But I will be surprised if she wins. Taylor just seems to have everyone in his hip pocket.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kat has really been taking a beating from the judges lately, and from the internets especially since Chris left (as though it were her fault). Some people are like "oh, she thinks she's better than the judges, and she's so uppity complaining to them that they've been to hard on her." Well, they have been too hard on her...on the other hand, I think they're pushing her hard because she really is capable of more than she's been giving. You can see that in the behind-the-scenes clips.

I don't think she's got anything to be ashamed of in the competition (unless perhaps allowing them to write her such a horrible single to close with last night). But you're right, Taylor seems to have taken the place by storm somehow. He can sing, sure, but mostly he's got a stylistic and originality advantage over Kat...Kat has the best pure singing voice, but I don't think she hit her full potential on Idol.

Wow, long comment. I've clearly been thinking about American Idol waaaaaay too much. :)

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home