Monday, March 13, 2006

iTunes

Mark liked the version of this that I posted on my livejournal better, so I copied that one over here. He's right, this one is more "me". I was tired last night when I wrote the shorter one; plus I'm not totally comfortable here yet. My persona on LJ is pretty well-defined, but it's still sorting itself out here.

Okay, I've now checked out the iTunes downloadable TV shows (Desperate Housewives ep my DVR missed). *shakes head in disappointment* iTunes!! Come on!! What are you doing, offering this horrendous file quality? Here I was expecting pristine prints, all set to watch HD-quality entertainment on my PC, because that's what I expect from a service I generally respect, like iTunes, and I get files that look like tenth-generation VHS copies with some nice pixelization added into the mix. The hell? Why would I pay for this crap? Well, I did this time because I wasn't expecting it to be crap, but I don't know that I will again. Why is iTunes doing this? I mean, their market has grown up with DVD/digital cable/satellite/HD, and we've come to expect that sort of quality. And it's not impossible...I tried out one of MovieLink's downloadable movie rentals, and it was surprisingly high quality. Very impressive.

I don't know what they're thinking. The torrents I've downloaded are twice this quality. If the industry wants to reduce illegal downloading, they've got to step up to the plate and offer something worth buying. This isn't it. Granted, I suppose if you're dl'ing it for your iPod, the quality is probably good enough (anyone want to verify this? I don't have a video iPod to test it...), but in that case, they should offer multiple versions, like they have multiple versions of movie trailers. Because these files are almost impossible to watch on my computer screen, and forget about hooking up the computer to my TV and trying to watch them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home